Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 2 of Temeka Johnson Weekend


Now here we are again, Day 2 of the Temeka Johnson Weekend.

This day started with the school that I adopted last year: Magnolia Woods Elementary. We called this day the 2nd Annual Meek Day. As I arrived at the school I'm thinking to myself, after such a bad turnout with the other school, I was like "I know Magnolia is going to come through strong"... and guess what? Strong is not even the correct word. My visit there was so amazing, I didn't know what to say. The teachers were awesome, the kids that were there before as well as the new kids that were attending were great also.

My marketing team was surprised and excited about the school, as they should have been. It was their first time to the school, and they were very happy that I was involved with a school of such high class. They truly care about their students, their education and also their future. It was so awesome for me to be reminded, but for my team to see it for themselves firsthand. While there I got to read to the kindergartners. I read the book "The Little Red Hen Makes Pizza". It was so fun as the kids interacted and participated with me in reading the book. After reading to them, they sang me a song that they will be performing this upcoming Friday. I am not sure of the title, but I know the chorus is "I maybe small, but I ACT tall" LOL it was so fitting and so cute. I laughed really hard, but they performed it really well. I am trying to get a copy of that CD and maybe their performance to share with all of you. I promise that you will appreciate it just as much as I did. We also got a chance to show my Marketing team the projectory boards/smart boards that are being placed in classrooms. They were able to see what they actually do and how they work. The kids love them and the teacher enjoy teaching with them. They keep the students attention, they allow them to feel like learning is fun and I know I would have enjoyed it if it was there when I was in elementary school. It was such a great visit and I am looking forward to doing more stuff with them this year. In my opinion, there are many schools that can go to Magnolia Woods and learn how a school environment should be.

After leaving the school, I had a little down time so we went and ate at Waffle House, it was so good to see Mrs. Barbara who has been there a long time. She has always taken care of us and she hasn't forgotten us either. As she was taking our order everyone was thinking about what they may have wanted, she proceeds to tell me don't you worry I already know what you want. I smiled and said yes ma'am and she said the usual right I said you got it. My usual is a waffle with hash browns smothered, and some bacon with an orange juice. I haven't been back there in a long time, but that didn't matter, Mrs. Barbara still remembered.

That's the love you get in Tiger Town. From there I went over to an autograph signing at one of the best stores in Baton Rouge. The Lady Tiger Depot sells majority women's gear, but all of LSU stuff. The turnout wasn't what I thought it would be, but I was happy to get to see the people that did show and some were my middle school teachers. I wasn't complaining top bad, though.

From there I made my way to the celebration party that was put together for me at my Alma Mater. So many came out to support me and we all had a blast. Coach Starkey and the LSU staff and managers did a wonderful job. Everyone ate, mingled, talked, congratulated, reminisced, shared moments, and had fun. The food was great, the cake was amazing, the WNBA logo with the championship trophy on it was priceless. I was truly happy.

Coach Chancellor and Allison Hightower's tribute was so heartfelt and I truly appreciated it. I kept telling myself that I wasn't going to cry, but with something as special as that, I could not help but to cry. Then the video that was put together by Coach Starkey was so awesome, that I had no choice but to cry. To have this great feeling of being a champion and to be able to share it with all of my loved ones who have always been there for me..... ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW. The auction for the foundation went well, and everyone supported it. We raised close to $3,000 over the weekend, but most of all we had a blast....

I am working on getting that video so that I can share it with all of you as well. This has been a great weekend and tonight will be even better. I will celebrate with just friends and family tonight, but not before I go and watch my lady tigers practice.

Ok everyone that's all I have for you right now, but as soon as something else comes up you will be informed. (SMILES) talk to you soon

Meek

No comments: